Friday, September 23, 2011

twenty years ago, i was in 6th grade. i remember the first time i saw the video for "Smells Like Teen Spirit" on MTV... my brothers and i were at Grandma Mennig's house and just sat and stared at the TV, at a complete loss for words. in that moment, we knew that nothing would ever be the same again...


and it wasn't.
 
my bedroom turned into what my Dad called "The Shrine." every article and photo i could find on Kurt Cobain was stuck to my wall. i learned that there were albums released prior to "Nevermind." i quickly obtained those and learned every word to every song. there was a huge period of time where my discman only played Nirvana cd's on my giant speakers that my Dad probably regretted giving me to put in my room.
 
the 20th anniversary of Nevermind is bittersweet. i'm fortunate to have been old enough to remember when it was released. i also consider myself fortunate to have the music shape my adolesence; however, with it being 20 years ago, it feels like the door is closing on my youth. i'll absolutely still be jamming out to Nirvana when i'm 50, 60, 70+ and my kids will be as well.

1 comment: