Friday, April 8, 2011

the inspiration for the name of my blog...

What an insane week! I don't know why, but this week went by soooo slooooowly. Ugh. But it's the weekend, I've recovered (almost) from the Thirsty Thursday shenanigans, and I'm ready for some fun! What are you doing this weekend, loves?

It's hard to believe that 17 years ago today, Kurt Cobain's body was found. I remember that day like it was yesterday; I was in 8th grade and it was the first time (in my memory... I had grandparents who died when I was a toddler; yes, I loved them, but I can't remember their deaths) anyone I loved that much had died. I remember watching MTV (when it was still good) and Kurt Loder breaking in on the show with an MTV news update. I thought it was a horrible joke; unfortunately, it was not. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Hl2pBVv9EI&feature=related
My dad used to call my high school bedroom "the shrine"... I had a million magazine clippings and posters of Kurt and Nirvana. I'm pretty sure there was a period of time that my parents worried about me, as I trudged around the house, spewing teen angst from my flannel-mixed-with-grunge-boots body. Those were the days...
I still get teary on April 5th (when they speculate he actually died) and April 8th (when he was found). I also still can't make it completely through any of the DVD's I have without getting teary. I know, you might think I'm crazy, but what an impact this guy had on me growing up. He was the voice of my generation, and continues to be. The sun is gone, but I have a light... he lives on through his music and through the millions of fans whose lives he touched.

We went on a 2 week trip to Portland/Seattle last summer, and checked out Kurt's hometown of Aberdeen, WA. Here are a few pics:


The last pic is from the Seattle Art Museum. How awesome was it that the exhibit was there when we were? The mood in the display area was somber, with people wiping tears from their eyes (I was one of those people). I can't wait to have my buddy Jay, and his Nirvana tribute band, Nevermind, play at our wedding. It's honestly a dream come true.

Anyway, enough doom and gloom, right? I'm going to kick my feet up and relax with my doggie (who is aptly named Cobain) and my boy (who is not named Cobain).

Ciao!
Breezy

No comments:

Post a Comment